Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2013

HIKE - first day

BLOG authors and photographers: Johnny and Becca

Early to bed and early to rise might make us wise, but an early rise and late bedtime made for one heck of a day. We left Ollantaytambo early in the morning and set out on a 3 hour hike for Puma Marka, an early-Incan ruin situated at 12,000 feet where we would spend the night. We stopped for a wonderfully long picnic lunch, munching on bread and soup. While admiring the peaks all around, Adolfo was our knowledgeable guide yet again, explaining the plants and rock formations that we passed . We passed over Incan stairs and terraces, now used as cattle pastures. We reached our campsite in the early afternoon, and pitched tents. Armando, who we know from our morning construction projects, hiked the mountain with mules and horses carrying cooking equipment and clothes. As it got dark, we had popcorn and crackers for tea, which was followed by lively card games and a delicious chicken and pasta dinner. Shortly after dinner, we started a bonfire, accompanied by s’mores and lots of singing. As the fire smoldered, we looked up at the beautiful night sky and incredible stars. Late into the night we played bonding games like two truths and a lie, until we we’re all too tired from the hike to stay up any longer.

Hey LaMountains, as you are now referred as in Peru. I’m trying to soak up as much as I can so you can have a family trip to Peru. I hope all is well in the Estados Unidos, and all is even better by the time I get home.  Feel free to comment and let me know that you know I’m alive and well.
Hi family! I’m no longer sick (yay!), and the overnight hike was so much fun! I think I may have conquered my fear of the dark.  I can’t wait to come back and I’m writing everything down so I can tell you all about it! Feel free to comment so I feel loved…miss you all. Becca 

Vicki Weeks and our guide Adolpho


































2 comments:

  1. I think there's something very wrong with one of those mules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Berca-berca:

    From Mom: We miss you so much (been the longest two weeks) and we look forward to the blogs everyday. Had I known you could read the comments, I would have commented from the very first blog. Glad to hear you are well and that the hike was so much fun (when you come back, Bar Harbor will be a piece of cake :)...make sure you take pictures with your host family.

    From Dad: It's been hard trying to train the dog not to sleep in our bed, but we're working on it.

    From Danielle: Mom bought you a *&^%-load of skittles so I hope you like them. Buy me an alpaca. A whole one. Miss ya, poops!

    All: We love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete