Pages

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Walk up to Pinkulluna (ancient granaries of Ollantaytambo)

Photographers and BLOG: Lily and Max
                Today was the day we finally embarked on our first trek.  This day was surrounded by much apprehension as well as excitement.  Though we were all worried about hiking in the high altitude, we could not wait to become “Mountain Man and Women.” After bundling ourselves in multiple layers that would be continuously shed throughout the day we started towards the base of the path to Pinkulluna.  Pinkullana is home to not only beautiful scenery, but also an ancient Incan granary.  Within ten feet we were already exhausted.   However, we strived on, fending off mountain lions and third degree sun burns (not really mom, chill out).  The path was difficult, but each step was worth it.  As Ryan Metro put it “Every step is the highest I have ever been.”
                When we reached the granary, we encountered several rows of massive stone, which had some holes in them that were perfect for perching and admiring the view.  There was satisfaction in the air, and many candid shots of various students.  From this spot we could see the fast mountains that surround Olyantantambo, a river flowing through the entire town, and a friend.  This friend was Luis, a child of Paula and Bayo who works at the hostel.  He cleverly obtained and angled a sheet of aluminum foil in order to shine the light from the sun towards us at the granary.  Though we were around nine thousand feet up, we knew he was down there watching, and we waved hysterically.  After this fun, some of us took it upon ourselves to trek even further.  We hiked a few minutes more up to a small ruin.  Though we would have said our previous view was the best in the world, this was better.  The mountains stretched on for miles.  After soaking in the landscape, we descended town the mountain.  Though this was less physically taxing, we still had to focus a lot to make sure we wouldn't slip.  When we finally reached the bottom, we were totally exhausted, but even more satisfied with ourselves. 
                A few hours later, we were introduced to our respective host families at last.  We participated in an introduction ceremony where we all were given a word in Quechua.  We one at a time went to the front and attempted to pronounce our word.  My word (Max), Inti, means sun.   My word (Lily), Ayuda, which is also a Spanish word, means help.  After this recitation our families greeted us with open arms.  More to come.

Hello mummy, daddy, and Georgia. I miss you very much, but I am having a fabulous time in Peru. I hope Felix hasn’t pooped on anything recently/eaten anyone’s shoes. I wish you guys could see this with me, but I will tell you in immense detail what has happened when I get home. I am learning a bit of Spanish which is tough but I’m picking it up faster than I anticipated.  Georgia please stay out of my room and don’t take any of my clothes. Can’t wait to see you all, and I love you so much!
-Lily
Hello Mom and Dad (and possibly other family).  I miss you more than I can possibly say, but I am experiencing things I cannot begin to describe.  It is ok to miss me, but never be sad that I am gone, because when I come back dinner stories will be way more interesting.  Don’t forget to feed bomper, even though he is kinda fat.  I love you so much.  Un abrazo y un beso
,

                                                                                                                -Max





Granaries







View of Ollantaytambo

Ollantaytambo Sun Temple foreground right





Granaries in the background


2 comments:

  1. This photograper is outstanding! ;)

    Dear Inti(Max),
    We cannot wait to hear in detail about everything. We will give you complete control of dinner conversations for weeks after you return. Bomper has not lost an ounce and is shedding profusely. Maybe getting ready to grow a new coat for fall. We will not tell him what Peruvians think guinea pigs are good for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MAXY
    I HOPE YOU ARE HAVING FUN. I'M USING CAPS LOCK BECAUSE MAYBE IF I YELL YOU CAN HEAR ME IN PERU. I LIKE THAT GRAY JACKET IS IT NEW? Ok caps lock done. I will snuggle bomper extra for you. I'm so jealous of where you get to be. I hope you don't miss home too much. It sounds like your host family is awesome (I'm catching up on all the posts so sorry that this comment is long and random and not necessarily about this blog post) and even if there is a language barrier I'm glad you have them. I bet they adore you.
    LOVE AND STUFF
    Liv

    ReplyDelete